Thursday, 21 April 2011

Tom Yum Soup

This recipe is based on the Tom Yum Soup that you get at the Thai restaurant at home in Timaru, Sukhothai.  It's perfect for dinner with a bowl of rice, especially when the weather's cooling down.  I'm not going to lie, but it has been said it's worth writing home about!

There isn't a hard and fast recipe for this, you can add or remove things as you please really but the way I usually make it goes a little something like this...
  • 3 tablespoons of Tom Yum paste
  • 1.5 cups of water
  • 1 can of coconut milk
  • cabbage (about a 1/6 or so), chopped into 2cm square chunks
  • 1-2 carrots, sliced on an angle
  • mushrooms (about 10), sliced
  • prawns or chicken breast, diced
  • sugar, about a tablespoon
  • fish sauce, to taste
  • Spring onions, finely sliced on an angle
  • Coriander, chopped
  • Bean sprouts
Heat the water and coconut milk.  When it comes to the boil, add the Tom Yum paste and mix until it's dissolved.  If I'm using chicken I'll add this and let it cook for a few minutes before I add the cabbage and carrots.  If I'm using prawns I'll add the cabbage and carrots first and let them cook for a couple of minutes first, then adding the prawns.  Soon after add the mushrooms and allow all to cook.  It doesn't take long. 

Once it's cooked, turn off the heat and sprinkle in the sugar and fish sauce to taste.  The sugar tends to take the chilli edge of it.  I sometimes add most of the bean sprouts to soften them a little.  Put the soup in  a bowl, top with spring onion, bean sprouts and coriander and serve with a bowl of rice.  Yum!

Tom Yum (without the garnishes!)

10 comments:

  1. I would like some veggie recipe updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve made a lot of similar recipes in my slow cooker. I wouldn’t be able to survive with out my slow cooker. Thanks for sharing your recipes. Techlazy.com Crazyask.com Howmate.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece of content. I assume that you have spent hours writing
    it. Thanks for sharing these ideas with us. techmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this roundup idea! I am making a “basics” cookbook for a few of my girlfriends who are getting married this summer. Definitely going to include some of these ideas!
    Harold Burton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this amazing list! I’m trying to eat the least amount of processed foods possible and this is so perfect for me.
    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really wonderful. I do think spaghetti squash is a great option for enjoying traditional noodle dishes on a grain-free diet. Thanks for posting this on Food Flicks Friday.
    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT list. Bookmarked so I can remember to come back when I need to make basics. Thank you!
    Kelly Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made this for dinner tonight, so good! I had some trouble finding some of the ingredients so I substituted tahini and a red curry paste for the miso, also did shrimp instead of tofu (for pleasure of My fiancé haha) but I have to say to definitely make the soft boiled egg! It was the cherry on top 👏👏.
    Holly Hooper

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks really good. Probably lots of flavor pop. Must try! ????
    Jayme Silvestri

    ReplyDelete